Photo No. 317 "Shelf Cloud on Squall Line"

Title: "Shelf Cloud on Squall Line"



Place: Chlum, Hradec Králové, Bohemia, Czech Republic
Date: 2009-07-23 @ 16:25
Description: This photo was taken during some all-day stormchasing in the country. After I had studied the latest sounding from Prague, I felt clearly sure that, when the storm had formed, it would be very strong. So I was waiting and watching on the radar what happened. The storm had developed at 15:15 UTC around Prague, with an easterly direction of motion. Within an hour the storm developed into huge squall line passing through the whole country and causing a lot of damage both here and in Poland. Several weather station measured gusts of about 35 m/s+. I was waiting at the village being the best place offering westernly views. When the storm approached, I was taking timelapses and a lot of photoes and panoramas.

Author: Lukas Ronge, Czech Republic
Equipment used: Canon Eos 50D + Canon EF-S 17-85 IS USM
Original resolution: 4752x3168
blogbackup